0800 047 5065
Welcome toJS Travel Insurance
Travel Insurance > Sports & Activities > Trekking (up to 6,000 metres) Travel Insurance

Trekking (up to 6,000 metres) Travel Insurance

If you are planning a trip and wilol be Trekking to 6,000 metres, it is important that you have a Travel Insurance policy in place before you leave your home.

Trekking up to 6,000 metres of altitude is amongst the most challenging outdoor pursuits, mainly because of the altitude and the lack of oxygen in the air. Trekking is a challenge on foot which offers travellers the chance to experience spectacular views in remote areas filled with natural beauty and wildlife. Trekking up hills, mountains and tough terrain is popular and rewarding. JS Travel Insurance can cover your expedition, where ever you are heading, including Tanzania, Nepal and Peru.

If you require cover for Trekking to 6,000 meters, GET A QUOTE ONLINE

Please select Hazardous Activities Category C on the quote page.

Alternatively, please contact us by telephone or email: 0800 047 5065 (FREE) or 01273 773 017 info@jsinsurance.co.uk

JS Travel Insurance can provide cover for your Gadgets, such as Mobile Phones, Tablets and Computer Game Consoles. You will be able to select this cover on the quote page of our website.

We provide cover for Residents of the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and British Forces Posted Overseas.

Summary of Cover

Section & Cover Silver Gold Platinum  
Cancellation or Curtailment - £2,000 £5,000  
Medical and Repatriation £10,000,000 £10,000,000 £10,000,000  
Personal Property - £2,000 £3,000  
Personal Money - £400 £400  
Delayed Departure - £100 £100  
Missed Departure - £500 £500  
Legal Expenses - £25,000 £25,000  
Failure of Carrier £1,500 £1,500 £1,500
Standard Excess £100 £75 £0
Medical Excess £500 £150 £0

 Additional Options

We have add on extras so you can build the quote which most suits your needs. Here are some of the top options available:

Natural Catastrophe Cover - £9.00 per person - available on Silver, Gold, Platinum.
This provides additional cover up to £1,500 for cancellation and additional accommodation / transport expenses as a result of a catastrophic natural event which is unknown and unforeseen at the time you purchase the Travel Insurance or book your holiday, whichever is the latter.*

Missed Travel Connection Cover - £4.99 per person - available on Silver, Gold, Platinum.
This extends your policy to provide up to £500 for additional transport and / or accommodation costs to enable you to get you to your pre-booked final destination, if you miss your pre-booked connecting Aircraft, Watercraft or Train as a result of the cancellation, or delay of 3 or more hours, on your initial international outward or return journey, due to adverse weather, mechanical breakdown or technical fault.*

Gadget Cover - £10.99 per person - available on Gold, Platinum.
Here we will pay up to £1000  for the intrinsic value or cost of repair of your Gadgets (single item limit of £500), which are lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed. Unauthorised calls up to £75. Gadgets include: Mobile phones, ipads and tablet computers, e-readers, MP3 players, plus more.*

* Please see Policy Wording for full details.

Example Quotes (Single Trip)

The table below provides some example premiums to cover Trekking up to an altitude of 6,000 meters anywhere Worldwide excluding the USA, Canada or Carribean for 15 days. Destinations include Nepal (e.g. Everest Base Camp), Tanzania (e.g. Kilimanjaro) and Peru.

Age Bracket Silver Gold Platinum  
18-55 years £64.09 £83.16 £117.81  
56-60 years £63.80 £83.89 £113.42  
61-65 years £65.53 £87.22 £116.89  
66-70 years £78.19 £106.15 £142.83  
71-75 years £90.86 £125.10 £168.79  

Mountain Rescue & Air Ambulance

JS Travel Insurance policies cover Mountain Rescue and Air Ambulance (if medically necessary) - this falls within Emergency Medical Expenses. You will need to telephone the 24hr Emergency Medical Assistance Service (detailed in your Policy Wording) for authorisation of the claim.

We recommend that you provide a copy of your Policy Number and the 24hr Emergency Assistance Telephone Number to members of your group so they can call on your behalf, if you are unable to call yourself.

Over recent years, there has been a large increase in the number of Rescue Operators, claims for altitude sickness and the associated rescue have increased significantly. With very little regulation, the costs of rescue have escalated significantly, often with the suggestion that local guides are receiving payments from the helicopter operators. Therefore, it's important to get claim authorisation from the Medical Assistance Team to ensure an Air Ambulance is completely necessary.

Trekking without a Guide

If you're Trekking above 3,000 metres altitude without a Guide, we will need to give you a specialist policy - please notify us when you call for a quote (0800 047 5065).

We can cover persons unguided up to a maximum altitude of 6,000 metres, although for some altitudes (e.g. Everest Summit), we may ask for some information about experience and preparation you've done before we can provide a quote. Please note, you will not be covered where you have willfully exposed yourself to peril (except where it is to save human life).

Trekking Travel Insurance FAQs

Can I get a Policy to cover just part of my holiday when I am Trekking?

Yes. We have specialist policies to cover only the days you are Trekking, however the premiums may be slightly higher.

Therefore, our Customers tend to opt for a policy which starts when you leave your home and ends when you return to your home, due to lower premiums. Please ensure you provide all dates of travel so we can provide a suitable and valid policy.

Call us today to get your quote, on 0800 047 5065.

Is my Trekking Equipment covered?

Yes - this falls under Personal Belongings cover, but only whilst it is in transit or stored, and not whilst it is being used.

Let us know how much equipment cover you need so that the quote is suitable for you.

Will you cover Repatriation if I need to be brought back to the UK if I'm ill?

Yes - all of our policies cover Repatriation back to your Home Country, if the medical treatment locally is not sufficient. This must be authorised by the 24hr Medical Assistance Service - you can find their telephone number in your policy documents.

What happens if I book my insurance and then there is a Natural Disaster in my chosen Destination and I cannot travel?

To reclaim the costs of pre-booked accommodation and travel incurred, you will need to add Natural Catastrophe cover to your policy for an additional premium. This will cover you for cancellation for events which disrupt your travel, such as fire, flood, earthquake, explosion, tsunami, volcanic eruption, landslide, avalanche, hurricane, cyclone or storm which is unforeseen and unknown at the time you purchased this insurance or booked Your Trip, whichever is the later.

If the Natural Catastrophe occurs whilst you're in your Travel Destination, this special cover will provide you with an amount to cover daily additional expenses (e.g. transport costs necessarily incurred) plus replacement accommodation expenses. T&Cs apply.

What happens if I book my Travel Insurance and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advise me not to travel to my Destination?

The policy will require you to ensure you're not travelling to areas against the advice of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). Therefore, check their website for information before booking your trip. You should also check this information whilst your travelling if you are going to more than one country.

If you take out a policy before the FCO advises its not safe to travel, you will be covered for cancellation of pre-booked accommodation and travel. If the policy is taken out after the FCO issues advice that it's not safe to travel, you will not be covered.

How can I avoid Altitude Sickness ?

It is recommended that the first day that you are at a high altitude, you should keep excersions to a minimum. It is also recommend that you drink up to 3 litres of water a day.

JS Travel Insurances Top 10 tips for Avoiding Altitude Sickness

Common Injuries

Trekking at high altitudes (above 2,000 metres) is exhilarating, but it carries risk of injury, which is why specific Travel Insurance to cover this activity is vital. If the altitude you're Trekking to is not covered by the premium, then your claim for Emergency Medical Expenses will not be covered.

Risks are heightened due to rough terrain, adverse weather conditions and wild animals. As you trek to higher altitudes, the air becomes thinner and oxygen becomes less available which can lead to altitude sickness. Dehydration and muscle spains are also common injuries.

Important Information

Before you leave the country, it is important to purchase a Travel Insurance policy.

This Travel Insurance is provided by goodtogoinsurance.com. Goodtogoinsurance.com is a trading name of Ancile Insurance Group Limited, Registered Address: Kao Hockham Building, Edinburgh Way, Harlow, Essex, CM20 2NQ. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority - No. 471641.