0800 043 0020
Welcome toJS Travel Insurance
Travel Insurance > Sports & Activities > Trekking Everest Base Camp Travel Insurance
Trekking Everest Base Camp Travel Insurance Quote

Loading Calculator

Trekking Everest Base Camp Travel Insurance

If making the Trek to Everest Base Camp is becoming increasingly popular, you must have the right Travel Insurance policy before you leave your home country. Everest Base Camp (South) is in Nepal at an altitude of 5,364 metres, whilst Everest Base Camp (North) is in Tibet at 5,150 metres. To contact us by telephone or email, 0800 043 0020 / 01273 092 757

Read More..

If making the Trek to Everest Base Camp is becoming increasingly popular, you must have the right Travel Insurance policy before you leave your home country.

Everest Base Camp (South) is in Nepal at an altitude of 5,364 metres, whilst Everest Base Camp (North) is in Tibet at 5,150 metres.

To contact us by telephone or email, 0800 043 0020 / 01273 092 757 support@jsinsurance.co.uk

Summary of Cover (per person)

Section & Cover Silver Gold Platinum
Emergency Medical and Repatriation* £5,000,000 £5,000,000 £5,000,000
Search and Rescue* £25,000 £50,000 £50,000
Cancellation or Curtailment* - £3,000 £7,500
Personal Baggage* £500 £2,500 £3,500
Activity Equipment £1,500 £1,500 £1,500
Valuables* £250 £250 £500
Loss of Passport* - £300 £500
Travel Delay - £300 £1,000
Trip Abandonment* - £3,000 £7,500
Missed Departure / Connection - £500 £500
Legal Expenses* - £25,000 £50,000

*Excess payable does vary depending on the claim benefit.

Please read the Policy Wording for the complete list of Benefits.

Healix Insurance Services Ltd, on behalf of Hamilton Insurance DAC, arranges this Travel Insurance policy for Jade Stanley Ltd. Healix Insurance Ltd is registered in England and Wales under No. 5484190 and authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under No. 437248. Hamilton Insurance DAC is registered in Ireland No. 484148, authorized by the Central Bank of Ireland, and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority in connection with their UK branch. Jade Stanley Ltd is registered in England and Wales under No. 03570857 and authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under No. 306205.

Trekking Travel Insurance FAQs

1. How high can I trek with this Travel Insurance policy to Everest Base Camp?

This policy will allow you to trek up to 6,000 metres above sea level.

There are two Everest Base Camps; one is situated on the mountain's north side in Tibet and is known as North Base Camp; the other lies in Nepal on the south side of the hill and is called South Base Camp.

If you have plans to trek between 6,000 and 9,000 metres, then contact us, and we can give you a quote at support@jsinsurance.co.uk

If you are already out in  Nepal and decide to go above 6,000 metres, please contact us, and we can upgrade your policy to provide insurance for this altitude.

2. Does this travel insurance policy cover me if I am injured or taken ill and must be brought home for further medical treatment?

Our policies cover Repatriation back to your home country if the treatment locally is insufficient; the Medical Assistance Service must authorise this and your policy details have all the details.

If you need to be treated in Nepal, you will be covered for Medical and Emergency Expenses up to £5,000,000.

3. Is Helicopter recovery covered if I get severe mountain sickness?

Yes, you will be covered under the Search and Rescue section of the policy up to £50,000. As you may know, many scams regarding helicopter evacuation in Nepal exist. The most common benefit requested by reputable tour operators and guides is that the policy includes Search and Rescue as a unique benefit.

4. I have an Annual Travel Insurance policy already for worldwide travel. Can I get cover just for the Trekking days?

Yes, you can cover yourself just for the days you will be Trekking Everest Base Camp; the premium often works out cheaper doing it this way.

Note the maximum duration of each trip is 31 days. 

If you are looking at an Annual Trekking policy, you can include Everest Base Camp and Trekking to 6,000 metres, allowing you to trek in Nepal, Morrocco or Peru.

You must state this on your policy if you are Trekking to Kilimanjaro

If you are already away and decide to go Trekking to 6,000 metres again, you can purchase a policy from us. You must confirm in writing that you have no claims pending and the days you will be trekking, and we can provide a policy for you. You must email us or call us first. 

5. Should I be guided when Trekking to Everest Base Camp?

We can only cover you if you are Trekking Everest Base Camp on a fully organised tour with qualified and repeatable tour guides.

The policy will be invalid if you are Trekking to Everest Base Camp alone with no guides, and it is hazardous!

It is a requirement that you register your Travel Insurance with the guide company before you set off. That way, they will have the policy number and Emergency Assistance number. 

6. The tour organiser I am using requests the policy to state Trekking Everest Base Camp and Search and Rescue. Is this possible?

Yes. You have to make sure that this is stated in the policy. When getting a quote, please select Trekking Everest Base Camp (thoroughly organised tours only)

Do not select Trekking 4,000 to 6,000 meters, as you will not be covered, and the tour operator will most likely request you to cancel and reissue the policy. 

7. What do I need to provide my tour organiser once I have purchased a policy?

Most reputable Trekking Everest Base Camp Tour Operators will ask for the following information before you start your Trek.

Policy Certificate

Travel Insurance Provider

Policy Number

Emergency Assistance Number

Once you have obtained a policy, you should share these details with the company immediately. 

If a Trekking company does not ask for travel insurance details, I would be suspicious of them as it is mandatory.

8. What happens if I book my Travel Insurance and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises not to travel to Nepal?

You should always check with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office before booking any trip and confirm that travel to the area you plan to travel to is not restricted.

If you take out a Policy before the FCO advises it's unsafe to travel, then you are covered for cancellation if this changes before you travel.

9. How can I avoid Altitude Sickness?

It is recommended that on the first day, you are at a high altitude; you should not try to walk or over-exert yourself. Drinking up to 3 litres of water is also recommended.

Top 10 Tips for Avoiding Altitude Sickness 

10. Challenging part of the  Everest Base Camp Trek 

a) Lhotse Face - this is the final part of the Everest Base Camp trek: a steep climb to get to Base Camp   

b) Western Cwm - a wall of ice and rock that towers over the Camp

c) Khumbu Icefall - a valley below the Western Cwm and is steep and subject to changing weather conditions. 

11. Can I get cover if I plan to go to Everest Summitt?

Yes, we can provide cover for this and you would need to contact us for a quote as each case does need to be referred to the underwriter.

Register your Travel Insurance

When you reach your destination, provide a copy of your Travel Insurance Policy with the Trekking Company you booked and point out the 24-hour Emergency Assistance Number.

If you request Mountain Rescue by Helicopter, the Mountain Rescue Services in Nepal will need your Travel Insurance details.

Travel Insurance companies have their preferred Operators, so ensure that you call (or have someone call on your behalf) the 24-hour Emergency Assistance Service listed in your Policy Documents.

Get fit

Trekking up to Everest Base Camp can be strenuous, and the lack of oxygen after 2,500 metres makes trekking challenging.

You should always keep to your fitness levels and not go beyond your limits, especially if you are not comfortable or confident at this altitude.

Acclimatisation is important. Here's a link to a retailer that provides products to help you acclimate before leaving your home country: https://www.altitudecentre.com.

Trekking Gear

Pack light! One of the biggest mistakes is taking too much gear and not using half of it but being burdened with the weight of it.

  • Backpack
  • Lightweight Hiking Boots (wear them before you go to avoid getting blisters)
  • Thick Wool Socks
  • Trekking Pants (waterproof), Thermal Tops (long sleeve), Therma Bottoms, Windproof Jacket, Lightweight Rain Jacket and T-shirts
  • Woollen or Peaked Hat, Sunglasses, Water Purification Tablets, Sunscreen, Chapstick, Quick Dry Towel, Bungee Cord, Karabiners, Head Torch, Washing Powder, Water Bottles, and First Aid Kit.
  • As of March 2024, it is a requirement to have a Recco Reflector, make sure you have one.  

Reputable Trekking Companies

It is best practice to book your Trekking experience through a reputable UK company - look for reviews and recommendations and choose a company that will provide a safe and well-thought-out experience.

If choosing a company not registered in the UK, pick one registered with an Authorised Trekking Agency and holds proper licenses and registration from the Authorities. An agency has to have registration with the Nepal Government Trekking Agencies Association of Nepal (TAAN) to operate.

If the Trekking Agency does Climbing, they must also be registered with the Nepal Mountaineering Association (NMA).


Vaccinations sometimes require jabs across an extended period (sometimes over three months), so see your doctor as soon as possible to schedule your vaccines.

You can check the NHS website for all current Vaccinations required for Nepal.

Standard Vaccinations required include:

  • Japanese Encephalitis (especially if you are going between August and October)
  • Rabies
  • Typhoid
  • Hepatitis A and B
  • Diphtheria, Tuberculosis, Polio & Tetanus

Visa Requirements

There are specific entry requirements for Nepal - visit the UK Government website for information.

A valid Permit and TIMS Card (Trekkers Information Management System) are needed to enter the Trekking Regions.

Pre-Existing Medical Conditions

Suppose you are participating in an Activity, such as Trekking to Everest Base Camp, and you have a pre-existing medical condition. In that case, it is advisable to declare the medical conditions before your trip.


This policy will provide cover up to the age of 75 years.

With such a physical and exhilarating activity, your peace of mind to have the medical conditions covered means you do not need to worry about any medical claims you may need to make during or after the trip

Useful Websites








Travel Insurance Toolkit

  • Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
  • Covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme
  • Secure data encryption