In these uncertain times, we at JS Travel Insurance are looking at how travel insurance affects you as a Policyholder in times of war.
Here is everything you need to know about travel insurance in wartime so far:
1. What happens to my Policy if I am overseas and my country is attacked? Am I covered?
The Policy will provide cover if you require any Emergency Medical and Repatriation expenses whilst on your trip, provided you have not travelled against the advice of the FCDO. Before your trip, if it is unknown whether the country you are travelling to has declared war or is currently under attack.
2. Are any Travel Insurance providers covering me for countries deemed unsafe to travel to by the FCDO?
No, we do not cover any country or region if the FCDO states on their website that only essential travel is available and that travelling to the government or area is unsafe.
3. What is terrorism cover, and does it apply to all destinations?
Covers prepaid, irrecoverable transport, accommodation, foreign car hire costs and prepaid excursions, should you not wish to travel due to an act of terrorism occurring before your outbound travel date and within a 40-mile radius of your booked accommodation.
If you have already travelled, your portion of prepaid, irrecoverable accommodation, foreign car hire costs and prepaid excursions and either your pre-booked return travel costs or the cost of your curtailment travel costs, should you wish to return home due to an act of terrorism occurring within a 40-mile radius of your booked accommodation.
It applies to all destinations except those countries and regions where the FCDO does not allow travel.
4. How does Cancellation Coverage work if I have Travel Insurance for a country that then becomes engaged in a war before I depart? Am I able to claim?
Yes, you would be able to claim for Cancellation. It would cover your portion of prepaid, irrecoverable transport, accommodation, foreign car hire costs and prepaid excursions as long as you know that the FCDO has not listed the country or region as somewhere they advise against travel to.
5. Can I travel to Russia or Belarus on JS Travel Insurance Policies?
There is no current coverage with our Travel Insurance policies if you plan to travel to Russia and Belarus.
6. How am I covered if my stay is under attack?
If this were the situation, you would be covered for Medical Emergency and Repatriation costs. You would also be covered for curtailment of your trip, especially if your accommodation is unlivable and there was no alternative place to stay.
7. How am I covered if the airport of my departure flights is taken over or under attack?
You would be covered for repatriation back to your home country.