A Heart Bypass is surgery that is also called coronary artery bypass surgery. Its purpose is to replace a (partially) blocked artery in the heart. This surgical procedure involves the creation of a new passageway for the blood to flow to the heart, effectively bypassing the obstructed section of the damaged artery. Blood vessels from elsewhere in the body are used to build this new artery. This procedure literally saves lives, allowing the patients blood to flow freely to the heart once again, thereby preventing heart attacks and other heart diseases.
To get a quote by telephone, contact us on 0800 047 5065 (FREE) or 01273 773 017
JS Travel Insurance provide cover for Residents of the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Republic of Ireland.
1. Summary of Cover
|Section & Cover||Silver||Gold||Platinum|
|Cancellation or Curtailment||-||£2,000||£5,000|
|Medical and Repatriation||£10,000,000||£10,000,000||£10,000,000|
|Failure of Carrier||£1,500||£1,500||£1,500|
2. Medical Questions
When getting a Travel Insurance quote, you will be asked a number of questions to ensure you get the right quote for you. These will include:
- Have you ever been a smoker ?
- How long ago was your most recent procedure ?
- At any time BEFORE your most recent heart procedure, did you suffer a Heart Attack ?
- Have you had a Heart Attack at any time AFTER your most recent heart procedure?
- Have you EVER had any symptoms of Angina (eg chest pain, chest tightness) since your last procedure ?
- Can you always walk 200yds on the flat without becoming short of breath ?
- Have you been advised to take medication for High Blood Pressure ?
- Have you been advised to take medication to lower your Cholesterol ?
If you are travelling with others, we can include them on the policy even if they do not have any medical conditions.
3. Travel Advice
Usually, air travel does not pose a risk to someone who suffers from Heart Disease or has had a Heart Bypass. There has been no evidence found to suggest that air travel may interfere with a Pacemaker. The usual time period that you must wait before flying after a Heart Bypass is three weeks. Complications such as Angina or an unstable condition will mean that it will be a longer wait before you are safe to fly. There are some things to consider if you are planning a holiday abroad after Heart Bypass surgery.
- Do not travel if you are in an unstable condition.
- Check with your physician before planning a holiday to make sure that you are well enough to travel.
- Carry enough Medication to last you the trip, plus extras in case of delays or emergency.
- If you are travelling with someone, divide your Medication between you, in case a bag gets lost.
- Carry Medication in your hand luggage.
- Check with the airline's policy on carrying Medication on you during the flight.
- Carry a recent prescription on you plus a letter from your doctor describing your condition.
- Carry a list of emergency contact numbers on you.
- Do not travel to areas that have extremes of climate that could put excess pressure on your heart.
- Plan a relaxing holiday that will not require you to over exert yourself.
- Do not do any strenuous activities on holiday that you are not already doing in your daily life.
- Check where the nearest hospital(s) or clinics are to where you are going.
- Make a checklist of your medicines (including the brand name and general name) and names of medicines that are commonly used for the condition.
- Plan your route, make travel arrangements in advance and allow plenty of time for travel to avoid unnecessary stress.
- Try to avoid carrying too much by using a suitcase or bags with wheels.
- If you have a pacemaker or Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator (ICD), tell airport security staff as it may set off the metal detector. Bring the identification card for your device with you and ask to be hand searched, or checked with a handheld metal detector, which should not be placed directly over your device.
Before you leave the country, it is important to purchase a Travel Insurance policy that will cover your Heart Bypass or any other pre existing medical condition you may have.
This Travel Insurance is provided by goodtogoinsurance.com. Goodtogoinsurance.com is a trading name of Ancile Insurance Group Limited, Registered Address: Kao Hockham Building, Edinburgh Way, Harlow, Essex, CM20 2NQ. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority - No. 471641.