Heart Bypass Travel Insurance
If you have had a Heart Bypass and you are planning a trip, you would be advised to have a Travel Insurance policy before you travel.
In most cases, we will only be able to offer Single Trip cover for those who have had a Heart Bypass. It is possible to get an Annual Multi-Trip policy depending on the answers to the medical questions and depending on where you are travelling to.
To get a quote by telephone, contact us on 0800 047 5065 (FREEPHONE) or + 44 (0) 1273 773 017.
Summary of Cover
|Section & Cover||Silver||Gold||Platinum|
|Cancellation or Curtailment||-||£2,000||£5,000|
|Medical and Repatriation||£10,000,000||£10,000,000||£10,000,000|
|Failure of Carrier||£1,500||£1,500||£1,500|
*The excess payable does vary depending on the claim benefit.
When getting a Travel Insurance quote, you will be asked a number of questions to ensure you get the right quote for you. These will include:
- Have you ever been a smoker ?
- How long ago was your most recent procedure ?
- At any time before your most recent heart procedure, did you suffer a Heart Attack ?
- Have you had a Heart Attack at any time after your most recent heart procedure?
- Have you ever had any symptoms of Angina (eg chest pain, chest tightness) since your last procedure ?
- Can you always walk 200yds on the flat without becoming short of breath ?
- Have you been advised to take medication for High Blood Pressure ?
- Have you been advised to take medication to lower your Cholesterol ?
Usually, air travel does not pose a risk to someone who suffers from Heart Disease or has had a Heart Bypass.
There has been no evidence found to suggest that air travel may interfere with a Pacemaker.
The usual time period that you must wait before flying after a Heart Bypass is three weeks.
Complications such as Angina or an unstable condition will mean that it will be a longer wait before you are safe to fly.
There are some things to consider if you are planning a holiday abroad after Heart Bypass surgery.
- Do not travel if you are in an unstable condition.
- Check with your physician before planning a holiday to make sure that you are well enough to travel.
- Carry enough Medication to last you the trip, plus extras in case of delays or emergency.
- If you are travelling with someone, divide your Medication between you, in case a bag gets lost.
- Carry Medication in your hand luggage.
- Check with the airline's policy on carrying Medication on you during the flight.
- Carry a recent prescription on you plus a letter from your doctor describing your condition.
- Carry a list of emergency contact numbers on you.
- Do not travel to areas that have extremes of climate that could put excess pressure on your heart.
- Plan a relaxing holiday that will not require you to over exert yourself.
- Do not do any strenuous activities on holiday that you are not already doing in your daily life.
- Check where the nearest hospital(s) or clinics are to where you are going.
- Make a checklist of your medicines (including the brand name and general name) and names of medicines that are commonly used for the condition.
- Plan your route, make travel arrangements in advance and allow plenty of time for travel to avoid unnecessary stress.
- Try to avoid carrying too much by using a suitcase or bags with wheels.
- If you have a Pacemaker or Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD), tell airport security staff as it may set off the metal detector.
- Bring the identification card for your device with you and ask to be hand searched, or checked with a handheld metal detector, which should not be placed directly over your device.
Before you leave the country, it is important to purchase a Travel Insurance policy that will cover your Heart Bypass or any other pre existing medical condition you may have.
This Travel Insurance is provided by goodtogoinsurance.com. Goodtogoinsurance.com is a trading name of Ancile Insurance Group Limited, Registered Address: Kao Hockham Building, Edinburgh Way, Harlow, Essex, CM20 2NQ. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority - No. 471641.