Kidneys are a vital organ in the body, removing waste products from urine. When the kidneys stop working properly and lose their ability to filter blood for whatever reason, a condition known as Kidney Failure, a Kidney Transplant is usually the only treatment.
To get a quote by telephone, contact us on 0800 047 5065 (FREE) or 01273 773 017
JS Travel Insurance provide cover for Residents of the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Republic of Ireland.
1. Summary of Cover
|Section & Cover||Silver||Gold||Platinum|
|Cancellation or Curtailment||-||£2,000||£5,000|
|Medical and Repatriation||£10,000,000||£10,000,000||£10,000,000|
|Failure of Carrier||£1,500||£1,500||£1,500|
2. Medical Questions
When getting a Travel Insurance quote with a Kidney Transplant, you will be asked a number of questions to make sure that you get the right quote for you. These will be:
- Are you currently on Dialysis ?
- How many unplanned hospital admissions for this problem have you had in the last year ?
- How long is it since you had your Transplant ?
- Have you had any episodes of rejection within the last year ?
- Was the Kidney donated by a living donor (for example, a family member) ?
- Have you been admitted to hospital in the last 12 months for treatment related to your Transplant ?
If you are travelling with others, we can include them on the policy even if they have not had a Kidney Transplant.
Following a Kidney Transplant you will continue to receive care and advice from your transplant clinic. Thereafter you will be taking medicines for life, and may at times be asked by your transplant clinic to swap between medications. These include, but are not limited to:
- Tacrolimus (Prograf or Advagraf)
- Mycophenolate Mofetil
- Mycophenolate sodium
- Prednisolone (non enteric coated) or similar steroids
- Ranitidine or Lansoprazole
- Calcium and Vitamin D3
- Alfacalcidol or bisphosphonate
- Isonazid and Pyridoxine
4. Before you go
After surgery, a patient must take immunosuppressive drugs to prevent rejection by the body. This means that you should avoid travelling to areas of poor sanitation as you have an increased risk of infection.
Ensure that you have enough Medication to last the length of your trip and carry all medication in hand luggage in case of delay or loss of luggage.
- Do not travel within the first 8 - 12 months after receiving your transplant.
- Discuss your travel plans with your Transplant Clinic and ensure you are fit to travel and there are no problems with your destination.
- Avoid destinations with poor sanitation, due to your medications you will be more susceptible to infection.
- Check what vaccines may be required at your destination. Never have a live vaccine (vaccines obtained from a live organism e.g live attenuated virus), however synthetically manufactured and vaccines derived from dead viruses are generally OK.
- If your trip requires you to take malaria prevention tablets check with your transplant clinic which ones are safe for you.
- Obtain a letter from your Transplant Clinic for customs, to cover your medication.
- Purchase a comprehensive Travel Insurance policy. Inform the policy provider that you have received a Kidney Transplant, so you are covered.
- Make sure that your Travel Insurance policy clearly states that you are covered for this pre existing condition on the Certificate of Travel Insurance
- If travelling in Europe take your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
- Locate local Hospitals that are equipped to offer treatments should you encounter problems with your kidney (such as rejection).
- Pack enough Medication to cover the entirety of the trip, pack in separate bags if possible in case of loss of luggage.
5. Useful Websites
Before you leave the country, it is important to purchase a Travel Insurance policy that will cover your Allergy or any other pre existing medical condition you may have.
This Travel Insurance is provided by goodtogoinsurance.com. Goodtogoinsurance.com is a trading name of Ancile Insurance Group Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority - No. 471641.