Gastric Bypass Travel Insurance
If you have had Gastric Bypass surgery and you are planning a trip away from your home, it is a good idea that you have a Travel Insurance policy in place before you leave your home. A Gastric Bypass is an operation that helps a person lose weight. It is basically the removal of a part of the stomach, making it smaller so that less food can be eaten.
Additionally, a Gastric Bypass also includes the rerouting or bypassing of a section of the digestive system, which limits the amount of food that can be absorbed. After a Gastric Bypass surgery, the patient will be able to eat less, while the food that is ingested will skip a part of the intestines that absorb food. It is a very effective, yet drastic, way to lose weight.
JS Travel Insurance can now provide cover for your Gadgets, such as Mobile Phones, Tablets and Computer Game Consoles. You will be able to select this cover on the quote page of our website.
JS Travel Insurance provides cover for Residents of the United Kingdom and the Channel Islands.
Summary of Cover
|Section & Cover||Silver||Gold||Platinum|
|Cancellation or Curtailment||-||£2,000||£5,000|
|Medical and Repatriation||£10,000,000||£10,000,000||£10,000,000|
|Failure of Carrier||£1,500||£1,500||£1,500|
Travel Advice after a Gastric Bypass
- Wait 6 - 8 weeks after surgery before taking a holiday, discuss this with your Physician or Doctor.
- If you are travelling within that 6 - 8 week period, ensure you check with the Airline regarding their specific policies.
- Inform the policy provider that you have Gastric Bypass, even if it is being controlled, so you are covered.
- Make sure that your Travel Insurance Policy clearly states that you are covered for this condition on the Certificate of Travel Insurance.
- If travelling in Europe take your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
- When booking flights ensure you have an aisle seat with plenty of legroom so you are able to do leg exercises, to reduce the risk of blood clots.
- Take more than enough medication / supplements with you in case of delays / loss. Consider splitting this out over a few bags, and take plenty with you in your hand luggage.
- Keep medication in the original packaging. This will reduce issues with airport security and can help identifying the medicine if you require more whilst abroad.
- Consider packing your own food to avoid falling into bad habits at the airport/in the flight.
Whilst travelling after a Gastric Bypass
- Take medication/supplements in your hand luggage (take extra in case of delays).
- Perform leg exercises to increase circulation and reduce the risk of blood clots.
- Wear compression stockings.
- Stick to your dietary regimes and requirements, don’t slip because you are on holiday.
- Remember to only drink alcohol in moderation (no more than about 1 unit per day - that’s about half a pint or half a glass of wine).
Before you leave the country, it is important to purchase a Travel Insurance policy that will cover your Gastric Bypass or any other pre existing medical condition you may have.
This Travel Insurance is provided by goodtogoinsurance.com. Goodtogoinsurance.com is a trading name of Ancile Insurance Group Limited, Registered Address: Kao Hockham Building, Edinburgh Way, Harlow, Essex, CM20 2NQ. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority - No. 471641.