Cystic Fibrosis Travel Insurance
If you are travelling and you or one of your travel companions has Cystic Fibrosis, you will need to have a Travel Insurance policy in place before you leave for your trip. Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disorder that results in a wide variety of issues. Cystic Fibrosis affects the production of fluids like digestive juices, sweat and mucus, which are supposed to be slippery and runny. People who have Cystic Fibrosis have a malfunctioning gene that makes those fluids sticky and thick, which causes blockage in various organs. Unfortunately, there is no cure for this disease, although certain treatments could make life more comfortable for patients.
JS Travel Insurance can now provide cover for your Gadgets, such as Mobile Phones, Tablets and Computer Game Consoles. You will be able to select this cover on the quote page of our website.
JS Travel Insurance provides cover for Residents of the United Kingdom and the Channel Islands.
If you are a Resident of the Republic of Ireland, please get a quote for Travel Insurance or call us to discuss your requirements.
Summary of Cover
|Section & Cover||Silver||Gold||Platinum|
|Cancellation or Curtailment||-||£2,000||£5,000|
|Medical and Repatriation||£10,000,000||£10,000,000||£10,000,000|
|Failure of Carrier||£1,500||£1,500||£1,500|
Cystic Fibrosis Medical Questions
When getting a quote for Travel Insurance to cover this Medical Condition, you will be asked a number of questions to make sure that you get the right quote. These will include:
- How many medicines do you take for the Cystic Fibrosis ?
- How many unplanned hospital admissions have you had for this condition in the last year ?
- Can you always walk 200yds on the flat without becoming short of breath ?
- Have you ever been prescribed oxygen for use at home ?
- Have you had or are you on a waiting list for a lung or liver transplant ?
- Do you have any impairment of kidney function ?
- Do you have Diabetes ?
Causes of Cystic Fibrosis
Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic condition that is inherited. For a child to be born with Cystic Fibrosis, the parents must both carry a recessive gene. If two carriers of the gene have a child, there is a one in four chance that their child will inherit the disease. Children who do not inherit the disease may become carriers themselves. Medical screenings can now be done to test whether or not you are a carrier of the gene. While there is research being conducted on gene development, Cystic Fibrosis is currently an incurable disease. Carriers of the disease are more likely to die at a young age and are unlikely to live past their late 30s. There are treatments that carriers of the disease will be given. In some cases, this can include therapy.
It is possible for people who suffer from Cystic Fibrosis to travel abroad. To travel with Cystic Fibrosis, there are a few things that should be considered when planning a holiday:
- Only travel if the condition is stable and the person is well enough.
- Always check with your physician before travel.
- Make sure you have the correct vaccinations for the country you wish to travel to.
- When going to a hot climate, make sure you take salt tablets to replace the salt lost through sweating.
- Carry enough Medication to last for the entire trip plus extra in case of emergency.
- Keep the Medication in hand luggage.
- Check the Airline's policy on travelling with Medication.
- Split the Medication between the bags of those you are travelling with, in case one bag is lost.
- Oxygen may be required on the flight, due to the pressurised cabin.
- Ask your doctor about having a flight test before travel.
- Carry a letter from your Doctor on you describing the details of the condition.
- Carry a recent prescription on you.
- Consider a specialised holiday.
- Try to visit an area that has a CF centre.
Before you leave the country, it is important to purchase a Travel Insurance policy that will cover for Cystic Fibrosis or any other pre existing medical condition you may have.
This Travel Insurance is provided by goodtogoinsurance.com. Goodtogoinsurance.com is a trading name of Ancile Insurance Group Limited, Registered Address: Kao Hockham Building, Edinburgh Way, Harlow, Essex, CM20 2NQ. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority - No. 471641.