0800 043 0020
Welcome toJS Travel Insurance
Travel Insurance > Already Departed Travel Insurance

Already Departed Travel Insurance

JS Travel Insurance has partnered with Voyager Insurance to provide Already Departed Travel Insurance.

You have packed your bags, and on the way to the airport or even when you arrive at your destination, you have forgotten to do something, and the paperwork is not in your luggage.

As you have started your trip, can I still get a travel insurance policy even though you have left your home already? Perhaps the previous policy you had has expired, or you have completely forgotten to purchase a policy.

Can you still purchase a travel insurance policy? Yes, you can with JS Travel Insurance provider Voyager Travel Insurance

This is called Already Departed Travel Insurance.


To contact us by telephone or email, 0800 043 0020 / 01273 092 757 support@jsinsurance.co.uk

Summary of Cover (per person)

Section & Cover Standard Enhanced Prime Supreme
Emergency Medical and Repatriation £5,000,000 £7,500,000 £10,000,000 £10,000,000
Curtailment of Trip £1,000 £2,500 £5,000 £10,000
Personal Baggage £1,000 £1,500 £2,500 £3,500
Sports Equipment £1,500 £1,500 £1,500 £1,500
Gadget Cover £2,000 £2,000 £2,000 £2,000
Personal Money £350 £750 £1,250 £1,500
Missed Departure/Journey Disruption £250 £500 £750 £1,000
Holiday Financial Protection - £1,500 £1,500 £3,000

Excess payable does vary depending on the claim benefit.

Please read the Policy Wording for the complete list of Benefits and terms.

Are there Restrictions to getting an Already Departed Travel Insurance policy?

Yes, some restrictions are in place when you have departed and are on your trip already. They are:

  • There is no cover for Pre-Existing Medical Conditions.
  • The body is only available on a Single-Trip basis.
  • The start date of the body is the day after you have purchased the policy.
  • The 14-day 'cooling-off period' to cancel the procedure is not applicable.
  • 14-day waiting period before medical expenses cover commences in respect of illness if departure from your home country or expiration of any previous policy was more than seven days before the purchasing date.


Already Departed Travel Insurance FAQs

1. Can I get an Annual Multi-Trip policy if I have departed?

We cannot cover you on an Annual policy, only a Single Trip or Long Stay policy.

2. When does my policy start?

The policy commences the next day after purchasing the procedure, so if you buy a policy today, the cover will begin tomorrow.

3. If I have a pre-existing medical condition, can I declare this if I have already departed on my trip?

Unfortunately, this policy excludes any pre-existing medical conditions you might have, so a claim for medical expenses due to a medical condition would not be valid.

4. If I have an accident whilst travelling abroad, can I get medical treatment and claim medical expenses?

Yes, this policy will cover you for any unforeseen accidents whilst abroad. However, as mentioned, your policy will only cover medical expenses after 24 hours have passed after you have purchased a policy with us.

5. Am I covered if I become ill and need medical treatment?

Yes, we can provide this cover; however, there are restrictions on the cover. There is a 14-day waiting period before medical expenses coverage commences regarding illness if departure from your home country or expiration of any previous policy was more than seven days before the purchasing date. Please read the section regarding already departed on page 6 of the Policy Wording.

 6. Can I include sports and activities in my purchased policy?

You can add sports and activities such as Cycling or Scuba Diving. Some sports and activities are covered as Standard. You can also include sports and activities listed in the policy wording with an option of Activities - Action or Action Plus. These are listed on pages 32 to 33 of the policy wording.

Our provider, Adventures, covers you if you are already abroad and want cover for Sports and Activities. With this policy, you can only select Adventures Part A Only. The cover starts immediately from the issue of the travel insurance. Please get in touch with us for a quote.

7. If I am a European Union Resident, can I purchase a travel insurance policy if I have departed my home country?

Yes, we can provide you with a policy, and all the terms and conditions are the same as UK Residents.

JS Travel Insurance has partnered with Voyager Insurance Services Ltd and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 305814, Registered in England & Wales, Number 3251842. This insurance is underwritten by Starr International (Europe) Limited, authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority. 

Travel Insurance Toolkit

  • Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
  • Covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme
  • Secure data encryption