0800 043 0020
Welcome toJS Travel Insurance
Travel Insurance > Long Stay Travel Insurance

Long Stay Travel Insurance

Long Stay Travel Insurance is designed specifically for those taking an extended trip such as a gap year, round-the-world trip or studying abroad. This policy will cover trips up to 18 months away from home.

You spent at least six months in the United Kingdom last year.

  • Three Levels of Cover: Standard, Longstay or Longstay Plus.
  • Medical Expenses (up to £5m).
  • The Age Limit is 75 years of age.  
  • Maximum Trip duration of 18 months.
  • Repatriation back to the United Kingdom or the Channel Islands.
  • Trip Cancellation and Curtailment.
  • Baggage and Valuables cover. 
  • 24-Hour Multi-Lingual Emergency Assistance Telephone Number.
  • Add Wintersports and Sports & Activities to your quote.
  • The gadget Cover includes a Laptop, phone, camera, etc. 


To contact us by telephone or email, 0800 043 0020 / 01273 092 757 support@jsinsurance.co.uk

Section & Cover Standard Longstay Longstay Plus
Cancellation Charges £1,000 £2,500 £3,500
Medical Expenses and Repatriation £2,000,000 £5,000,000 £5,000,000
Personal Liability £1,000,000 £2,000,000 £2,000,000
Personal Possessions £750 £2,000 £2,500
Gadget Cover - £1,000 £1,500
Personal Money and Passport - £500 £500
Legal Expenses £25,000 £25,000 £25,000
Study or Work Placement Abroad £6,000 £6,000 £6,000
Standard Excess** £75 £75 £75

*Study or Work Placement Abroad Extension - Available at an additional premium.

**Excess payables vary depending on the claim benefit.

Please read the Policy Wording of this policy provided by JS Travel Insurance.

Long Stay Travel Insurance is arranged for JS Travel Insurance through PJ Hayman & Company Limited, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Register number 497103). Registered office: Stansted House, Rowlands Castle, Hampshire PO9 6DX. Reg no. 2534965. 

Single Trip Travel Insurance FAQs

1. Is Long Stay Travel Insurance the same as a One Way Travel Insurance policy?

No. One Way Travel Insurance is when you leave the UK and permanently return to your home country or emigrate to another country. The extended Stay policy is for those who will be travelling but intend to return to their UK home.

2. When does Cancellation cover start?

Once you have bought your Long Stay Policy and it has been issued, you are covered for Cancellation.

3. Is there an age limit on Long Stay Policies?

Yes, our age limit is 75 years if you travel in Europe or Australia / New Zealand and 70 years of age Worldwide.

4. Why are Europe's long-stay policies cheaper than the Rest of the World's destinations?

Europe has cheaper health costs and Reciprocal Health Agreements with the UK, such as the GHIC card. Also, holidays and travel outside of Europe are more expensive and thus, Cancellation claims are higher.

5. Can I change my destination after I have left on my Long Stay policy?

Yes, you can as long as you inform us and advise that there are no pending claims and you have yet to travel to the new country or region. There will be an increase in premium if you change areas from Europe to Worldwide.

6. What cover for COVID-19 do you provide?

Cancellation if you test positive within 14 days of departure, Medical Expenses abroad if you test positive for Covid-19.

7. Who can purchase this policy?

Longstay & Backpacker is available to the UK, the Channel Islands & BFPO Residents who have not spent more than six months abroad in the last 12 months.

8. Can I get cover if I work in an Animal Sanctuary with Wild Animals?

Yes, this policy will provide coverage if you are working as a volunteer in an animal sanctuary with wild animals.

Key Features

There are three levels of cover to choose from:

Standard - provides essential coverage for Cancellation, personal possessions, emergency medical expenses, and personal liability.

Longstay provides higher limits and additional coverage for gadgets, departure delays, missed departures, possessions delayed in transit, personal money, and loss of travel documents.

Longstay Plus provides the same benefits as Longstay but with better coverage.

  • Study Placement Abroad Extension - Cover up to £6,000 for pre-paid tuition fees or if you cannot travel or must return home early.
  • Return home - for those choosing to break their trip during cover. Standard and Longstay allow you to return for up to 2 trips home (maximum 21 days per trip). Longstay Plus will cover four trips home (31 days per trip). The cover is suspended whilst back at home.
  • Automatic 'stopover' cover - this policy will automatically provide a stopover of up to 7 days maximum in a higher-rated area. I am travelling to New Zealand via the USA.
  • Gadget Cover (Longstay & Longstay Plus policies only) - We will cover theft, accidental damage, loss, breakdown and unauthorised call/data use of your gadget.
  • Excess Waiver Option - The standard claims excess can be reduced to 'nil' for a single additional premium.

Sports and Activities

If your Long Stay Trip involves any particular Sport or Activity, you must ensure it is listed on your policy.

The policy will automatically cover sports and Activities with a low hazardous rating (please check the Policy Wording for a complete list).

For other Sports and Activities with a higher risk, there may be an additional premium to pay, which will be calculated automatically on the quote page. You can select multiple Sports and Activities on the calculator.

If you wish, you can add Sports and Activities to the policy after purchasing the Travel Insurance. Please get in touch with us by telephone or email, and we can let you know if there is an extra premium to pay.

Pre-Existing Medical Conditions

If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, you must declare them to ensure the policy is valid and minimise the chance of claims being rejected. 


European Residents

We can offer coverage on a long-stay policy if you live in a European or EEA country. Please select the country in which you are Resident during the quote process.

We can also cover Pre-Existing Medical Conditions if you are a Resident in a European country.


Travel Insurance Toolkit

  • Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
  • Covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme
  • Secure data encryption